How to Save Money on Your Move
Tips for a Budget-Friendly Relocation
Saving money during a move is essential for everyone. To help you cut costs, we have compiled some practical advice to guide you through the process of how to save money on your move.
Sell Unneeded Items
One effective way to save money is by selling items you no longer need. Be sure to clean and organize these items before listing them for sale. Not only will you declutter your belongings, but you can also make some extra cash to offset moving expenses.
Plan a Moving Sale
Hosting a moving sale is a great way to make money from your unwanted items. Here are some steps to ensure a successful sale:
- Create an inventory of items to be sold and group similar items together.
- Promote your sale by advertising it in local newspapers, newsletters, and online platforms.
- Seek permission to post signs at various locations to attract potential buyers.
- Organize the sale with neighbors or friends for a multi-family event, increasing the chances of attracting more customers.
- Prepare for the sale by having a cash box, change, pricing stickers, and other necessities.
Take Advantage of Tax Deductions
Before your move, check with the IRS or your tax advisor to see if you qualify for tax deductions related to your relocation. The following criteria may apply:
- Your move must be closely related in time and place to the start of work at your new job location.
- Your new job location must be at least 50 miles farther from your former home than your old job location.
- You must have worked full-time as an employee for at least 39 weeks in the first 12 months after arriving in the new area.
Pack and Prepare Wisely
While it’s tempting to handle all aspects of packing and preparing appliances yourself, remember that only the driver and crew are allowed to load and unload belongings for safety reasons. However, you can still trim costs by doing some packing yourself.
By following these money-saving tips from Red Ball, you can make your move more affordable and efficient. Sell unneeded items, hold a moving sale, and take advantage of tax deductions to keep your relocation costs in check. Moving doesn’t have to break the bank; with careful planning and resourcefulness, you can achieve a budget-friendly move.
Request a free moving quote.